A collaboration piece with Sarah Beth Morgan (@wonderfall)Read More
As the year moves forward, I've been getting more and more editorial requests. I love the challenge of coming up with ideas based on an article and creating artwork in a very quick-paced environment. I'd like to share my process for this piece. Below are the sketches I sent the client which were also accompanied by descriptions of the concept:
We ended up going with option "A" which I then took to the iPad to add color and detail. I'm still trying to figure out a process I like. For time's sake, I started on the iPad, I think in the future I may play with starting in Adobe Illustrator depending on time. Below is the final piece and HERE you can find the article.
Hi y'all! Hope your month is going well. I haven't posted a process in a while and figured I would get back on that sharing train. Above you will see ideas sketched out and then the final. I'm super happy with how the illustration turned out and am very thankful for Dr. Martens for hiring me! HERE you can find the blog post that goes along with the piece I made for their Pride 1460 Boot.
We ended up going with the one in the middle, a self-portrait. I first built the artwork in Adobe Illustrator and then worked into Adobe Photoshop using my iPad (connected with the Astropad App) to push a little further. I like both the simple (left) and the final pushed version (right).
Check out the full post on my site HERE.
I'm obsessed with vintage sports memorabilia. Towards the end of last year, I was sitting at an art festival selling banners for my side project (Of Our Youth) and started thinking about how it would be fun to draw Hogwarts houses as old sports teams. I am a proud Hufflepuff, so of course I started with the Badgers. Here is my sketch:
I then came into Adobe Illustrator and started off working with the pen tool and stroke weight. The illustration began to lose some of its vintage charm. I decided it would make more sense to go in with the pen tool and draw all of the shapes as shapes.
After letting it sit over night, I looked at the "H" and wanted to try again. This time around, I stuck to a more modern, but still vintage-inspired look to the illustration all together. I'm happy with how the Badger of Hufflepuff turned out. I'm going to push myself to try another one of the houses and eventually put them all up on my Society6 page.
Today has been busy with client work, in a good way. I am always super thankful to have something to work on! Lauren decided to press play on a few Rick and Morty episodes. While taking a break, I started sketching what it would be like if they were combined somehow. See sketch below:
I decided to not just make this a sketchbook thing. I went to Adobe Illustrator and took it digital which turned into this:
It's pretty different from what I normally make, but I'm super happy with how it turned out! The most important parts to take away from playing around while busy with client work: I had fun AND felt a creative refresh.
Back in April, I launched a project with my friend Maz. I had posted a self-portrait I made for some personal branding and he reached out to me to commission an avatar. Below is part of the process. He sent me an amazing mood board that helped me stay on track (not pictured).
We talked over the phone a few times to go over the sketches and a final sketch was agreed upon.
Then I took that sketch to Adobe Illustrator to make it come to life even more than it already had!
It's hard convincing a client that a sketch can become even more than what it is at its most simple state. I'm hoping to have this blog be a place of process to show how a project can transform from sketch to final and beyond.Read More
I guess the only way to start is to actually start.Read More